A New School is a privately-funded liberal arts college located just outside of the town of Averno that appeared out of nowhere . It is also the primary setting for the television series The Department.
As a space focused on young adults, stories at A New School tend to focus on transitions, grappling with learning who you are, and forming an identity. A New School is a heightened space, the ridiculousness of its characters and lore mirroring the absurdity of life as a teen and twenty-something. Common themes are defamiliarization, re-examining history, devised microcultures, and group psychology.
Averno Bible Description
In the summer of 1971, an unknown private investor bought the land that used to house the Averno grain mill and the Holy House of God Cathedral. In the dead of night, a reconstruction of a 19th century castle was built. Seven letters arrived at the post office that Monday. Each day, the head of a new department of ANS arrived, picked up a letter, and disappeared Into the castle. On Sunday, the post office was closed. Nobody has met the head of the rumored seventh department, but on Monday, the final letter was gone.
Aiden - main character of Shorebound (Department of Lost Histories)
Sicero - creator of the Field Guide, main character of the novel (Department of Dead Languages)
Sam - main character of the novel (Department of Unconfirmed Existence)
RAVE CLOWN - main character of the novel (Department of Hidden Sequences)
Jolene Turner - main character of the novel (Department of Higher Powers)
Annabelle - main character of the novel (Department of Cults and Mysteries)
- The Headmaster - Probably exists (ghost? fake identity? reincarnation of a missing person case? potted plant? The school itself? Mothman? Three Mothmen in a trenchcoat? Who knows?)
- The Dean - Tobias Merriweather
- The Janitor
Marielle Souza - Department Head and professor of... everything.
Ana Strum - Professor of Criminal Psychology
Sabita Dido - Professor of Biological Anthropology
Francisco Marez - Professor of Criminal Systems
William Gordone - Department Head and professor of Theological Numerology.
Andromeda Faye - Professor of Calculus
Stella Bryce - Professor of... Coding?
Michael Ortiz - Professor of Patterns, Codes, Symbols, Code-Making and Code-Breaking
Akshay Banjeri - Professor
Hamlet Whitmore - Professor
Edith Reynolds - Professor
Milo Fletcher Fauxe - Professor
Bass Walker - Professor of Philosophical Theology
Malvina Walker - Professor of Herbalism
Dorian Walker - Professor of Medicine
Dinara Kabyl - Department Head and professor of Cryptology
Robert Johnson - Professor of Latin
Chione Blim - Professor
Rhoan Crothers - Department Co-Head and professor of Science
Catherine Nguyen - Department Co-Head and professor
Olivia Trung - Professor of Art
Greta Vigdis Trygvason - Professor
Eliziveta Raskova - Department Head and professor of... something?
Dimitri Ognassian - Professor of Cryptozoology.
Emanuel Anabitarte - Professor of Deep Sea and Deep Space Exploration
Frank Harringrove - Professor of Invention and Mysterious Objects
Locations on Campus
- The Cottage - home to the Department of Cults and Mysteries
- The Holy House of God Cathedral - home to the Department of Lost Histories and the Department of Higher Powers
- Abandoned Cracker Corp. Factory - home to the Department of Dead Languages
- The Birdcage - home to the Department of Hidden Sequences
- The Barn - home to the Department of Creation and Destruction
- The Tunnels Under Campus - home to the Department of Unconfirmed Existence
- There is a Buzzfeed quiz to place students into one of the above listed departments.
- However, since this is an American college, people are allowed to choose multiple departments—similar to how one would choose multiple subjects to major and minor in.
- The insignia for A New School (pictured above) includes a three-eyed deer head with a banner reading 'interroga omnia'- Question Everything.
- A New School is a perfect reconstruction of an 18th century castle, except on the back side, where they ran out of money and spray-painted some plywood to look like rocks.